.

.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Get used to it.

So the National Assembly just voted in the Marriage for Everyone bill.
People have been protesting against it for weeks now, a small but vocal part of the population. Overall the French are either in favor or don't really care. 
After all, how does the couple over there getting married affect my own marriage (or lack thereof)? That's what I don't get about all the placard-waving about the 'sanctity of marriage', or 'a family = mom + dad = kids'. Neither of those models holds up. The guy who feeds my cats when I'm away thinks gays should be banned from marrying because they might not be good parents. Since when has being a good parent ever been a critereon for having a child?
I'm not going to browbeat these issues now.
I just want to point out that the marriage we're talking about is the contract between two people and the state. It is not, and has never been, about standing in front of the altar and being wedded by God. Religions are still free to pick which pairings they support. The Catholic priests will still be turning same-sex couples away.
No, we're talking taxes, inheritance, visitation rights, power of attorney, employee benefits, bank accounts...
And there is no reason at all why some people should prevent other people from being happy and enjoying the same protections and benefits from the state as they.


2 comments:

The Bug said...

To me arguing against gay marriage is just the craziest thing. And I'm from the Bible Belt - I should totally understand all that right-wing fundamentalist angst. But it's beyond me. Get used to it is right!!

Argent said...

I heartily agree.