.

.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Friday Photo Shoot Out: Incongruous

I had some trouble with today's Shoot Out. I dutifully identified my favorite local incongruity, went over there and photographed it in many different ways (and it was a perfect day for parasailing - I had some great shots of the brightly colored sails just below me in the air, or swarming above), picked some blueberries, hiked all the way home, and discovered this morning that the memory card wasn't in the camera.
DOH.
Too late! But never mind. I'll just make you suffer through archival material.

This is not strictly speaking in my town, but you can see it from there. And you can go hiking up there, and biking and horseback riding among the green fields and hills.

It's a wonderful area for enjoying nature, a patchwork of open meadows and paths tunneling through the dense hazel and oak woods.

One moment you can't see the forest for the trees, the next you're out squinting in the hard sun, overlooking a volcano.

Then it's back under the canopy.

Sometimes there are odd things in there, but happily there is not much trash. People are fairly respectful, and there isn't much littering except for toilet paper and random farming & ranching relics.



This is the exploding tree. It's like a firework of wood. Sorry about the darkness, but it's a hardier Sunday hiker than me that drags their tripod everywhere. Gotta get one of those monopod-walking stick ones.

Then suddenly again you're in the open, and you can see what all the baaa-ing and tinkling of bells was about.

You turn around and admire the vista of blue-green hills.

You turn again and there it is. The mountain. A fabulous work of nature, complete with military installation and gigantic white weather spike & communications tower. But do continue to the top: on the other shoulder there's a bar serving ice cold beer.
Ciao!
.

24 comments:

Bagman and Butler said...

Ouch -- a military installation in the midst of tranquility. Makes me think the whole human race is incongrous.

gigi said...

That tree is way cool.
Leave it to the Military to ruin the view :)

Barry said...

No memory card! Ouch! I feel your pain!

Still, it let us accompany you on a nice walk. That was fair compensation.

Gordon said...

Outdoor shots like those are always welcome on my computer. Enjoyed it.

Heather said...

I like that big tub you found, and the scenic views are outstanding :) - well, other than the leftover Military stuff, huh?

Carrie said...

What a beautiful place. I love the tree.

Mary said...

Lovely, and you even have real trees.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful area...and while the military station does ruin the view, its nice to know there are brave men nearby, no?

aurbie said...

I hope you have a spare bedroom. I am packing my bags now. What lovely photos!

Military base? In all that beauty. Beer station sounds nice.

NanU said...

The spare bedroom is ready already, Patty, just let me know when.

Kerry said...

Your hike resembles some I have taken here in Oregon, although minus the cold beer waiting on the top of the mountain! I'm still curious about the incongruity-we-didn't-see; maybe it will fit nicely into a future assignment?

NanU said...

Kerry- I meant the military/weather station itself, rising above all the natural and serene countryside around it. The big white spike is visible for many miles around. Weather permitting, I might get back up there on Sunday.

I'd love to see Oregon some day. It's one of the five states I'm missing, and I understand it's beautiful.

J9 said...

The bar at the top would be my only reason for hiking up there! Love the exploding tree - very cool!

kate sweeten said...

That's such a pretty area :)

Unknown said...

beautiful area with lots of variety of scenery! great job!!

Anonymous said...

Love the outdoors and hiking - great shots!

Pauline said...

What a lovely walk that was. Love your exploding tree!

Sandra Leigh said...

Uh-huh. Thank you (taking memory card from computer and replacing it in camera) very much.

NanU said...

Happy to be of service, Sandra Leigh! And yes, J9, the beer at the top can be rather motivating. Also the ice cream. Plus the free blueberries, though the ankle-high bushes make them a pain to pick.

Sara Diana said...

How annoying that the memory card wasn't in the camara, its the sort of thing I would do. I love your photos though - beautiful.

Thanks for leaving your comment on my blog too x

RedLan said...

Whatta beautiful green field and forest. Thanks for sharing. Too bad you forget to bring your memory card. Just next time.

GingerV said...

I am sorry about your memory stick, thats a pain in the cahootie. this area is beautiful though, next time I am headed for france I will ask directions. (next spring!- thats your spring not mine)

Cynthia L. H. said...

Wonderful post! Thank you for sharing!
;^)

Zaroga said...

Just wonderful photos! Love the firework tree. I am thinking about the walking stick monopod, but it is so expensive :-)