.

.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday Photo Shoot Out: Twisted

Yes! I'm back at the Friday My Town Photo Shootout.
My participation is getting more and more sporadic. I could say this is due to being just so busy all the week and then wanting to relax intensely on the weekend so there's just no time for it.
But really, I'm just finding a new comfort level with the weekly themes I do. So I'll be back now and then.

You can hardly take a stroll around France without coming across patches of these twisted and gnarled plants. Auvergne is not known for its wine, but we still have vines mixed in with the pastures and the fields of corn.
Most of the vineyards within walking distance of the house belong to the Saint Verny cooperative, which makes a nice red. Surprisingly nice, according to people who 'know' wine. What I like about it particularly is the label.
French wine labels are largely stuck in the past, with a somber and predictable photo or drawing of the chateau attached to the vineyard, or just fancy text. Bor-ring!
The Saint Verny label has gone the more California route. In the States, you go to the wine aisle of the store and you're surrounded not only by delectable drinkables, but by clever and fabulous art gracing the bottles, calling for your attention. Colors! Shapes! Design! Done with the same old same old.

To join the My Town Shootout, click here.
.

18 comments:

GingerV said...

Is really good to see you back, I keep tabs on you, of course, but love to see old faces back on FSO - your header shot is really nice. I love to shoot grape vines. and I've never seen a red grape leaf. nice.

NanU said...

You've got about two weeks in the fall to catch the grape leaves turning, but indeed, only a few of them become bright red. Vineyards are photogenic in every season, I definitely concur! From the ordered lines marching around hillsides, to ripe fruit peeking shyly from behind the leaves, to the stark winter skeletons.

steven said...

wow nancy i'd love to get in close to the vines and see those shapes and colours. maybe even get in close to their fermented and filtered children before i do that!! steven

gigi said...

Loved your twisted pictures! Great capturs.

Sue McPeak said...

You have been missed here at FSO. Great Back To Shooting photos of the Twisted and Curly Grape vines!

Kim, USA said...

Welcome back! Your shots are amazing! Great capture!
Seashell

Sarah Sullivan said...

Oh what a great theme!! I loved your take on it!!What beautiful shots!!! Wow!!! I loved your shootout!
I could not help but notice your sweet bunny was being attached in the side bar....ackkkkkk! Hope he survived!
Sarah :)

spiritsoflena said...

Those vines are interesting looking. I enjoyed your shoot out!

In the eye of the beholder said...

What a good place to find twisted pictures, a Vineyard. Great Pictures!

Pauline said...

Nan, it's great to see you and your humour back. But I'm alarmed. Sitting right beside my favourite shot of the vines I see something unmentionable happening to Maurice!!

Jama said...

The first shot looks creepy to me but at the same time, there's beauty in it.

Unknown said...

welcome back! you were surely missed. I like the looks of those plants. very unusual to me since I have not seen them before.

Kerry said...

Good to "see" you again. I am glad that I am not the only one who enjoys cool wine labels! Those vines look more heavily pruned than the ones here in Oregon, I wonder why.

NanU said...

Do Not Worry! Maurice is fine. In fact, his little visit to an SCA event has been posted there for more than a year. He's had plenty of nifty and dangerous adventures since. Nary a scratch on him!

c'mon over, steven, the guest room awaits!

Titus said...

Exotic. How utterly exotic.

J9 said...

Ah, grape vines! They are amazing for all of their benefits to us!

Bagman and Butler said...

The grape vines are wonderful!

Suburban Girl said...

Love that 2nd shot with the repetition of the twisted vines.