.

.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Weekend at the AACR

The AACR is big big big. Only today (Saturday) the exhibit hall and poster area are closed. Aww. The one: no free chocolates and post-its and journals and odd bits of plasticware. The other: there are so darned many posters that it's a shame they aren't spread out over one more day.
Ironically for such a big show, by four in the afternoon I'm kind of at loose ends. Not much of interest is happening after 3 today, and the friend I so want to see while I'm here is currently and unexpectedly in San Diego. He'll be back soon; I'll still spend time with him before leaving.
And it's raining. What a gyp! It's the perfect time to wander around with my rabbity companion, but no, it's pouring rain. Only one thing for it. Go shopping. Let's see what downtown Denver has for books.
.
My hotel is not so nice as I'd hoped it would be, and a lot farther from the convention center than I'd imagined. Chosen partly because the price is more or less covered by my daily lodging allowance and partly just because it was the only one I found without going even farther away that had a room open for all the six nights I'll be staying. I've stayed at other outlets of this chain before, no problem, but this place is really quite run down. The bed is comfortable and the room large and clean, but the outside and the lobby area are just nasty. I've already overheard several complaints, one for a broken tv (I haven't turned mine on), one where the clerk was offering extra blankets to make up for a broken heater (are they that full? or are the other rooms no better?), and when asked if guests could use the computer in the lobby apparently set there for that purpose, she just shrugged it off and said that it hadn't worked for ages. At least my heat works. It's noisy and generates a lot of wind for not an excess of heat, but I didn't freeze.
.
Sunday morning I'm awakened by the phone ringing. It's my poster! It's just been delivered. See, they never lose my stuff for good. Ok, I'll come down for it.
Hey wait. I'll go get it when it's properly morning. It's 3:04 right now.
Who in their right mind phones their hotel guest at 3 am? Really, it could have waited for a more reasonable hour of the day.
And now the worst part of being awakened. If I'd stayed asleep, I would have woken up with the sun. But now I've been roused, my body realises, hey, it's 11am already in France. Great.
.
Sunday it's meeting meeting meeting. Poster session, plenary session, symposia, forums, mini-symposia.

No comments: