.

.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fade to black

This week's Poetry Jam task, set by Chris of Enchanted Oak, is to write an elegy for something we have lost, whether it be a loved one, lost youth, innocence, anything. I was thinking of something along these lines for next week's prompt, and I'll just have to find another, now! Anyway, my poem about a lost friendship:

Farewell to Iris

I don't know what I did.
I don't know what I said.
If indeed it was anything at all to do with me.
But you could have left me a message
Stop calling
Give up.
And I would have stopped
Instead of lingering.
Instead of believing our mutual friends
who said you were just very busy
in their effort to be kind.
I have given up now.
For a long time
I imagined that if I met you in the street,
I would feign delighted surprise, as if it had only been a week,
and then drop you in my turn.
Or I would warmly greet your husband,
and act as if you were absent.
Or any of a hundred scenes.
I hold my grudges as tightly as my friends.
Now, I would just pass on by.
You, just another face in the crowd.
Perhaps this has already happened,
And I didn't even notice.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this very much.

Scarlet said...

this sad...

death of friendship indeed hurts inside

thanks for sharing this ~

The Bug said...

I don't understand just dropping someone without even a hint of what was going on. I like your revenge ideas, but the one where you don't even notice is really the best.

Enchanted Oak said...

I like using poetry to air our grudges. It's a strong medium for revenge. Holds up well under bitterness. Good work, NanU.

NanU said...

I've had friendships die before; mostly they just fade away as we grow in different directions. Sometimes there's a fight or a particular reason to 'break up'. But never have I had someone just drop me without a word.
Better to get the frustration out here than elsewhere!

Bagman and Butler said...

Great response to the prompt. I can really identify with the lost friendship and the remaining feelings, then the fading of even those.

Helen said...

Fade to black ... so appropriate for the feelings your poem conveys!!

Peter Goulding said...

Yes, lovely grudges and resentment. Store them all up and wreak revenge. Love it!