.

.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Liftoff

I didn't have anything in particular in mind when I proposed this week's Poetry Jam themes of The Day Before, or Why so Saintly. If I find some minutes to write properly, I'll tell you tomorrow why I prefer All Souls Day to All Saints, but that's another topic. Waiting for the bus, though, I did come up with one about that faraway (maybe) day when humanity steps forth from its birthplace.

Liftoff

There were cheers
and anticipation
Valves were checked
and rosters
itineraries
lists
stocks
Gone over the good old way,
by hand and with eyes
And again in the computers
Backups
doublechecks
double treble backups
lifecraft stowed.
Everything we knew about
we went over again.
Everyone we knew
we hugged and kissed
and shook shaking hands.
We recorded ourselves
and said This is who we are
But who were we convincing?
...
3
2
1
*******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!********
How were we to know
just how all would be different
with no Earth under our feet?

1 comment:

Mary said...

Are you one who is able to put a Mr. Linky in Poetry Jam? If so, would it be possible to do it? Enchanted Oak's Chris said he would do it this morning before work, but he didn't. I think you have the possibility too, so if you do, I would appreciate it....as I posted the prompt for the week. Thank you.