.

.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

If we just did Tigger, it’s time for Casper.

Now, what color was November's Cat of the Month, Casper????
You got it!
Casper was a big white lump. Talk about a sit-around cat. He would eat anything, too, food or not. One time he ate a rubber band, and I had to give him a severe haircut in the back (he was a long-haired manx) and shut him in the laundry room until it was over. He was always eating things that gave him problems. Then we had problems. It was gross.
.
If you’ve been following, many of our cats seemed to have skipped right to the last life without our barely realizing it and they were gone. Casper, we saw them go by. There were the gastrointestinal episodes of course. There was also the frostbite time. One winter Sunday during the obligatory week at -40° (°F or °C take your pick; they’re the same) my parents left for Mass and I stayed home with my coursework. White Casper snuck out, unnoticed against the snow. He may have been mighty fluffy and well-insulated with fat, but -40° is a bit much. So he went around back to the kitchen door and started wailing and luckily I was home to hear him. Though not before he’d frozen a couple of toe pads and part of an ear.
.
One of his other lives involved climbing into the engine block of my car one Saturday. I started it up to go to work, and there was this awful thumping noise. Damn it, another breakdown. Maybe if I try again it’ll be ok. Nope. Resigned to repairs I couldn’t afford, I got out to check the engine. That’s when I noticed the large cloud of white hair drifting off in the breeze. Casper looked dead when I opened the hood, but he was only stunned. I reached in to pull him out and he leapt up and ran across the yard to hide in the bushes the rest of the day. He had the grease stains for a while.
.
Plus the fire, which killed his buddy Tigger. For a while we thought they were both goners, though neighbors assured us they’d seen the white one escape. We found him a couple days later, hiding in the ruins. There were some singed areas, and lots of soot, but otherwise he just missed Tigger.
.
I moved out after the fire, but my parents had Casper for years after that. He eventually moved with them to California, and lived to a ripe old age.
.

1 comment:

Barry said...

Casper is lucky cats have so many lives available to them. He certainly made the most of his!