.

.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

those troublesome tulips

I don't know about all this organising stuff.
Maybe most of the other people involved are retired, and if not, they at least did not have a bridge game on until midnight just after, and then a jam-packed day at the lab, and updating lists and responding immediately are just what they do with their days.
For me, the Rotary is still an extra-curricular activity. An important one, but it still is relegated to the non-work, non-sleeping bits of my life (which are not extensive).
To get you up to speed - 
Every year the League Against Cancer has a tulip sale fundraiser, which goes for three weeks and involves half a dozen points of sale.
Various clubs sign up to handle the sales and the logistics. More than a dozen Rotary & Lions & various other groups share out the different slots.
I have volunteered/been appointed to coordinate our Rotary participation this year.
Traditionally, our club handles just one day, at one site, for the sale.
I think this is not a lot, and that we can easily handle a second day.
The League has been filling in their spreadsheet for three weeks now, and Tuesday night there was a meeting to really get it mostly filled in before they start calling around to find somebody for this or that day. I was there along with the wife of our club's current president, and she agreed that volunteering the club for a second day was reasonable.
So I signed us up.
And then I went to my bridge game, and then yesterday I neglected to notify our prez that I had made this further commitment. Thought it could wait another day, especially as his wife would probably mention it on getting home.
This morning the League guy sent around his updated spreadsheet, and my prez responded that our club being listed for the second day was a mistake. Without conferring with me first.
Now, I realize I have been in meetings most of the day & away from my phone, but there are no messages on my cell or emails in my box. But have I been designated to deal with this or not?
So anyway. I sent a mail around to the whole club announcing YES! we are intrepid Rotarians and we will handle the Tulips for Two Days! Signup sheet at our meeting next Weds!

No comments: